Thursday 1 April 2010

NPWM: High and Low

after Arnaut Daniel

In field below and bough above,
The fresh flowers bloom both high and low,
And every bird unites to sing
And welcome in the growing Spring.
April sun
Shows on each one
The iridescent colours of its wing.
Though Love weighs heavy on me,
Yet joy shall all my song be.

I give my thanks to God above
Who gave me eyes to see and know
The joy these marks of springtime bring
To chase away my suffering.
Troubles run
From the sun
Like beetles when a ray invades their den.
Leaving the sight of men,
I call on Love again.

I thank you for your company, Love!
Though bitter is the way we go,
Yet salutary is the stinging
Sharpness of the brew you bring;
It shall run
Down my tongue
And wet my throat that I may better sing.
He who laughs in contempt of me,
May he by sores tormented be.

’Tis true, I am most true in love,
And I am proud, but will not show
My love to all those who come seeking
Knowledge of me, lest in speaking
Idle tongue
Should make fun
And so blaspheme her name and Love’s wise teaching.
Instead, in joyful mood,
Around the forest rude,
I’ll hymn my fair love's name in solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment