Saturday 21 November 2009

I am lucky enough to have access to a pair of libraries which between them contain over two million books. Yet frequently I look for something and find it unavailable. This happens either because the library does not have a copy among those two million books, which is after all only a drop in the ocean of all the books ever published, or because what I desire (a free-verse translation of a foreign work, for example) does not happen to exist.

I have set up this blog in order to create a place on the internet for poems that I could not find either in the library or on the internet: poems, in other words, that were hard for me to get, and that I wish to make more easily available for others. I will be typing up poems from books, and also perhaps including some translations of my own from French poetry, where there is a gap to be filled in the range of existing translations.

No comments:

Post a Comment